Johnny L. Veselka Scholarship
Recognizing Outstanding Doctoral Students
TASA established the Johnny L. Veselka Scholarship in 2013-14 to honor and provide financial assistance to outstanding doctoral students pursuing careers in educational leadership, with particular emphasis on the superintendency. The scholarship recognizes the leadership of TASA Executive Director Emeritus Johnny L. Veselka, who retired as TASA executive director in 2018 after serving the association for nearly 44 years.
2019 Scholarship Recipients
At the 2019 TASA Midwinter Conference, Marny Doepken and Courtney Jerkins were honored as recipients of the 2019 Johnny L. Veselka Scholarship. Doepken, curriculum coordinator for Clear Creek ISD, is working toward her doctorate in global education leadership at Lamar University. Jerkins, coordinator of elementary science/social studies and English learners for Midway ISD near Waco, is working toward her doctorate in educational leadership from Baylor University.
Clear Creek ISD
Midway (12) ISD
Criteria & Guidelines
TASA annually awards scholarships to TASA members in the amount of $2,500 each as the number and quality of applicants allows. Scholarship winners are honored at the TASA Midwinter Conference each January.
- TASA membership, in the active or student category, as appropriate, is required of applicants.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited university doctoral program at the time of the award. Proof of enrollment must be provided.
- Doctoral students in the field of education may apply, including those who are currently employed as superintendents.
- Johnny L. Veselka Scholarship recipients are not eligible to apply for the scholarship again; however, other applicants may reapply in subsequent years.
- Complete and sign the online application by the deadline for the current awards cycle. (The application deadline for the 2019-20 awards program was September 30, 2019. A link to the application will be posted here in summer 2020 for the 2020-21 awards program.)
- Upload a recent official university transcript. (If this is the applicant’s first semester as a doctoral student, please provide a transcript of the applicant’s master’s work.)
- Upload one high-resolution digital photograph (headshot) for publicity purposes.
- Respond to the three Professional Biography statements/questions. The essays are limited to 400 words each.
- Upload one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a professor, department head, or dean of the school of education where you are currently enrolled. (This will serve as confirmation of enrollment for applicants in their first semester of doctoral work.)
- Upload one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a supervisor in the school system in which you are currently employed or if not currently employed, a letter of recommendation from a former supervisor who is familiar with your work. If you are already employed as a superintendent, provide a letter of recommendation from a current board member.
2019-20 Scholarship Program Sponsors
The Johnny L. Veselka Scholarship program operates with financial support from the following sponsors.
Questions about this awards program?
TASA Awards Coordinator