On Wednesday, July 15, TASA, along with 11 other education organizations, sent a letter to Gov. Greg Abbott emphasizing that “the health and safety of the 5.4 million schoolchildren and more than 600,000 district employees is of paramount concern to the members of our organizations” and asking him to consider five recommendations related to Texas’ school reopening guidelines:
- Extend the transition period for schools that start online.
- Allow school districts to determine in-person instruction based on local health conditions.
- Establish a hold harmless for Average Daily Attendance (ADA).
- Strengthen connectivity and provide devices for families and students in need.
- Simplify attendance accounting for synchronous and asynchronous learning.