The Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) announced the regional winners of the annual Superintendent of the Year (SOTY) award on July 6. The SOTY program recognizes exemplary superintendents for their strong leadership skills, dedication to improving educational quality, ability to build effective employee relations, student performance, and commitment to public involvement in education.
- Region 1 – Daniel Treviño Jr., Mercedes ISD
- Region 2 – Max Thompson, Banquete ISD
- Region 3 – Jeanette Winn, Karnes City ISD
- Region 4 – Mark Henry, Cypress-Fairbanks ISD
- Region 5 – Mark Porterie, Port Arthur ISD
- Region 6 – Tim Harkrider, Willis ISD
- Region 7 – Susan Morton, Winnsboro ISD
- Region 8 – Michael Lamb, Sulphur Springs ISD
- Region 10 – David Vroonland, Mesquite ISD
- Region 11 – Robin Ryan, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD
- Region 12 – George Kazanas, Midway ISD-McLennan County
- Region 13 – William Chapman, Jarrell ISD
- Region 14 – Tim Seymore, Breckenridge ISD
- Region 15 – Ross Aschenbeck, Sonora ISD
- Region 16 – Bryan Davis, Dimmitt ISD
- Region 17 – Kenneth Border, Shallowater ISD
- Region 18 – Denise Shetter, Kermit ISD
- Region 19 – Juan Martinez, Clint ISD
- Region 20 – Brian Woods, Northside ISD-Bexar County
Superintendents from any of Texas’ 1,028 local school districts are eligible for nomination by their school boards. Local nominees are submitted to a regional selection committee, which chooses one nominee to send to the state selection committee.
The state committee will interview regional winners in Austin August 24-25 and select five state finalists. The Superintendent of the Year will be announced September 28 at the TASA/TASB Convention in Austin.