The House Public Education Committee will meet at 8 a.m., Tuesday, May 2, to hear testimony on the following bills:
- HB 1281 (Jolanda Jones) requires public schools, including charters, to provide written notice to parents/guardians if they do not have a nurse assigned to the school during all instructional hours for more than 30 consecutive instructional days.
HB 1291 (Campos) requires the SBOE, when adopting the essential knowledge and skills for the K-8 technology applications curriculum, to include “coding for video games.”This bill was removed from the agenda May 1.
- HB 2677 (Burns) requires districts’ employment policies to include anti-bullying measures to address bullying iin the workplace, including provisions to address the bullying of a teacher by a parent.
- HB 2694 (Venton Jones) requires public schools, including charters, to provide written notice to parents/guardians if they do not have a full-time nurse, school counselor, or librarian assigned to the school during all instructional hours for more than 30 consecutive instructional days.
- HB 4199 (Flores, et al.) requires school districts to make menstrual products available free of charge in each restroom designated for female students located on each campus in the district.
- HB 5294 (Muñoz, Jr.) prohibits certain school districts from imposing an ad valorem tax and to be operated and funded in the same manner as an open-enrollment charter school.
- HCR 34 (Holland) designates February 10 as Crossing Guard Appreciation Day for a 10-year period ending in 2033.
- HCR 110 (Burns) designates October 5 as Texas Teachers’ Day for a 10-year period ending in 2033.
- SB 1515 (King, et al.), passed by the full Senate and now beginning its journey in the House, would require public schools to display the 10 Commandments in their classrooms. It was heard by the Senate Education Committee April 5.
Find information on in-person testifying.
Find information on submitting comments related to agenda items electronically.
Watch a live broadcast of the hearing on Tuesday.