The annual program allows participating school districts and open-enrollment charter schools to nominate two teachers — one elementary and one secondary educator.
Please review the eligibility criteria
Complete the application packet, providing all requested information. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Be brief and succinct in responses to essay questions, focusing on the most
significant experiences and characteristics. Candidates who add a personal touch to their applications will
produce stronger entries, as well as provide contest judges — who have a
limited amount of time to evaluate each entry — with applications
that are more readable and that highlight applicant strengths.
Section I must be submitted on the
form provided. Sections II-IV should be produced using your own word-processing software. Following the formatting instructions below. The result should be a clean,
clear copy suitable for easy black-and-white copying and placement in a
three-ring binder with other applications.
- Make sure the applicant, the applicant's principal, and the applicant's district superintendent (chief school administrator) sign the application.
Include a color photograph of the applicant. Hard copy (5"x7") or electronic (color, portrait orientation, 300 dpi, jpg format), suitable for publicity purposes (professional headshot such as a school photo). Please no cellphone selfies, PDFs, or Word documents with photos embedded. No photocopies or photographs of photos will be accepted.
Submit an electronic copy (PDF preferred) of the completed application form (Section I), the pages you create in your word-processing software to provide the information requested in Sections II-IV, and photograph, with required original signatures to your Regional Education Service Center by the ESC's close of business, Wednesday, June 7, 2017. This is considered the official entry, and any failure to meet this deadline will result in disqualification.
- Both applicants and their districts should retain copies of entry materials, as originals cannot be returned.
- Section I must be submitted on the form provided on page 2 of the application packet.
- Sections II-IV should be produced using your own word-processing software. Start each section on a new page and include the section number and heading at the top. (For sections that allow for a multi-page response, repeat the section number and heading on page 2 and subsequent pages, adding “continued.”)
- Number all pages and adhere to the word or page limits specified for each section; additional pages and/or materials submitted will NOT be presented to the Selection Committee.
- Use at least 1-inch margins, a minimum of 10-point, easy-to-read type, and double space.
- The result should be a clean, clear copy suitable for easy black-and-white copying and placement in a three-ring binder with other applications.
Contact Jennifer Garrido, Texas Teacher of the Year Coordinator, 512.852.2105